>

Pages

Friday, February 9, 2007

I had a very FUN Friday!

Well yesterday is long gone that is for sure - today the temperature was only 54 as the high. Funny how it can be so drastic in the changes so suddenly.

Anyway, today I had to run errands in the large town near us and that included a trip to JoAnn's Superstore. :) When it first opened last year, I made an excuse to go to the big city once a week - now I am only in the Joanns once a month maybe.

Here are the fabrics I selected to use in my block for the HGTV Christmas Charity Quilt. The red was something I already had - from Wal-Mart. At JoAnns, all fabrics were $1 off a yard which is their next to best deal if you ask me. Only once or twice a year do they go 50% off and that just passed in Jan.

And since they were $1/yard off - I just had to browse a little more to see what else I might "need" :c) Well, Ihad to look at the browns but at first I didn't see any that resembeled CHOCOLATE.......and in fact it wasn't until after I had the cream and green in the pic above cut that I took one more pass thru and then found the perfect "Chocolate Brown Fabric".
So, since I was headed back to the cutting counter, better make it worth the efforts so I picked up several bolts of creams too and got 1/2 yard cuts of each. :) There was around 7 yards of the brown so I got the whole bolt of it thinking it will be the boarders and possible backing of a future string quilt. I can count on one hand the number of times I have walked out of a store with a BOLT :C) and boy is it a happy feeling!
Just where did I get this idea for a string quilt???  To see my inspiration, check out Elaine's post from January 14th.  I immediately fell in love with her string blocks with the chocolate brown centers as she shared photos of her first Heartstrings quilt project. I just knew that one day I would have to start string blocks with half light / half dark too! and now I can b/c I found the perfect fabric to get me started! :c)

Well my shopping experience didn't end with the fabric. I also couldn't help myself up front of the store at the clearance rack. They had 3 baskets full of rubber stamps all marked $0.97 each! I am rather proud of myself for only selecting 5 stamps though. It was tough but I did maintain some self control. :c) The FQ's were all on sale for $0.99 each and I only bought ONE! Boy was I a good girl or what!!! ...and the book in the photo was only $4 and I thought it would make a great door prize for our next MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) meeting on the 20th.
After my trip to Joanns - I stopped by a Christian book store and then to Office Depot. They didn't have what I went for at the office supple store btu I walked aroudn anyway and before I knew it, I had talked myself into buying this:
I hst noodle swaps every month on the HGTV board and have been wanting one a scale for a very long time but just couldn't justify the $35 cost. Well, today I stood there in the store and started thinking:
...I go to the PO so often - once a week and sometimes more...
...the PO people won't let me ring up each swappers package individually so that if more postage needs to be added I can do so and then retrun them their change before sealing up the envelope...
...and if I had my own scale I could do this at home...and they could each include $1 for me to use or return which would save me money from having to pay it like I have been...
...we had a record number of 25 noodle swappers this month = more packages = longer time to process them at the PO...
...the cost of this scale is the same or cheaper than Valentine's flowers... and the bonus is that I will be able to use it for years and years!!! Where as roses are only nice for a week...
...and although I am getting a double stroller (thanks Dad & Clara) after the twins are born it is gonna be nearly impossible to get to the PO as often with 3 children under 3 years old...
...especially in the early days when they will be eating very often - I can not stand the thought of being in line at the PO and hearing them cry and my milk letting down and I begin leaking all over!!!...
... I don't just want this scale - I NEED this scale!...I MUST BUY IT!...
...calling David at work to justify it all to him and see what he says...
...he's not at his desk so I left a voice mail telling him not to buy me anything for Valentines, that I bought it myself and will tell him all about it tonight ;c)...
:c) He just laughed at me when I showed it to him and thought it was cute that I was all excited about buying a postal scale. Lucky him, got off easy for Valentines and LUCKY ME - got exactly what I wanted and needed!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great justification to buy the scale. I especially like the line about how long it will last compared to roses. I think I've used this line before when I wanted something other than flowers. Enjoy the scale.

    PS - can' t you also purchase postage from the USPS on-line? Do it that way and all you have to do is drop off your packages at the PO.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! It lets me know that you stopped by! I try hard to reply to everyone who visits but *please note* I cannot reply to your comment, unless you have your email address visible in your settings!

To do so - Log into blogger on your dashboard page, click where it says "edit profile" on the left side of the page. Then check "SHOW EMAIL ADDRESS" in the 3rd line down, and at the bottom of the page click SAVE CHANGES! Thanks!