>

Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving

I saw this photo posted on a friends blog and loved it! The egg baskets remind me of my mother. She and I along with my grandmother, Momma Newt, took a basket weaving class once when I was about 10 or 11 and for about 2 years my mother made lots of egg baskets just like these - same sizes and color which she dyed herself using a mixture of walnuts and sometimes tea to stain them.

For Easter that year she gave all of her nieces and nephews their very own egg basket to use. I wonder if anyone still has theirs?

I however did not get one for Easter that year, as I had made my own in our basket weaving class... but of the few larger egg baskets around the house I knew that one day one of them would be passed down to me. When Momma Newt died, I did get the one that she had made in our class. For it was her first, only and last ever basket to make.... quilts were her specialty. ;)

I know Barry, my oldest brother, has one of the egg baskets that mom and I worked on weaving together - I did the fancy work on the handle and around the main band for her since that part was easier for my smaller hands. It was the prettiest basket that we ever made - lots of details.

I wish I had a photo of it as it really turned out beautiful and Momma was so very proud of it. Now some 20 years later - As a mother myself I can see why... being proud of your child and the sentimental value of something we made together... sorta like a mother's love woven into her child. ;) If she were still around I think I'd pick up the phone and call her and ask her if she still remembers when... and I'm sure she'd say yes.

Just wanted to share a little something with you. When I saw this pic it reminded me of those times. ;) and for good memories I am thankful! Hope you and yours have a very Happy Thanksgiving!


Love from Texas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! It lets me know that you stopped by! I try hard to reply to everyone who visits but *please note* I cannot reply to your comment, unless you have your email address visible in your settings!

To do so - Log into blogger on your dashboard page, click where it says "edit profile" on the left side of the page. Then check "SHOW EMAIL ADDRESS" in the 3rd line down, and at the bottom of the page click SAVE CHANGES! Thanks!