>

Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

A New Year - A New Beginning...

Let’s see…. Where to start???? I can’t believe just how fast the New Year is off and running already! I am happy to report that so far I am off to a great start in my sewing & quilting. After all, my quilting days are numbered with twins on the way this summer. My goal for the first few months of 2007 is to get done what I need to get done!!! Or as Lary the Cable Guy would say.... "Git'er Done!" This past week/weekend I have been very productive and have even remembered to take a few photos to share with you!


Last week I had a fun time going shopping for noodle fabrics for the next few months. I host these swaps each month thru the HGTV.com quilter's board. I bought January’s Red/White, February’s Black/White and also March’s 1930’s. (You will have to wait until next month to see my B/W's) For some of the colors I only found 5 fabrics so I will be looking to buy a few more as I like to swap around 8 sets each month. The best part was they were all on sale too!!! Some $1/yard off and the 1930’s were 40% off!! (Good thing I am not in Stashbuster’s No Buy Group although I don't buy like I use to - everything I buy is for a specific swap I am doing or a legal "B" purchase, binding, boarder, backings, batting and such…)

I wish I had a photo to share with you - but forgot to take one... I ended 2006 in the sprit of “Out with the old to make room for the new!” I spent a week cleaning out and reorganizing my sewing room and its closet– nothing like having family on the way for a visit to get you up and going on something that should have been done a long time ago! LOL I bought clear flip-top boxes at Wal-Mart and put each of my projects in their own box (something I have been wanting to do for a long time) – I still need to pick up a couple more the next time I am at the store… I bought all they had at the time. The closet looks much better!!!

Over the weekend I made blocks for the HGTV January block lottery. Those were so easy to make and in less than 30 minutes later, I had 9 completed and laid out on the floor!! Then looking back at the bed at all the left over pieces already cut, I thought I should make up a few more to use up these or else they will get tossed so after supper I came back upstairs and completed another 9 blocks! I took a photo – better get out your sunglasses b/c they are super bright! And the best part was – the 2.5 strips were already precut!!! I just went to my noodle stash and pulled some brights that we swapped one month last year! I never win the block lottos but they are a lot of fun to make - I don't participate every month but often.

Also Saturday night after Nora went to bed, I worked on finishing the blocks for Ms. Kole. I got 21 of the 24 completed before running out of fabric. I will have to contact her about getting just a few more 3.5” square pieces of the background fabric so I can finish up the last 3 blocks.

They are not perfectly squaring up which makes me frustrated. :P All the fabric was already precut when she gave it to me – which she thought she was doing me a favor but I would have rather done it myself as I have had to do Quarter Square Triangle blocks the old fashioned way using actual triangles – that were not cut the right size….I don’t like doing shotty work to give to someone else… but my friend’s mom will just be happy they are done and that she didn’t have to do them. It is the least I can do for her b/c she is so nice to do alternations for my husbands clothes.


Here is a photo of the first 16 blocks – wish I had remembered to take another photo of the 21 before packing them all up… I had them laid out together on the bed and boy wouldn’t they make a great quilt used all together! - however each of the 6 members of the small group will get 4 of 4 different blocks. I think these would look fantastic all set together in the same quilt don't you?? I almost don't want to give them away! LOL I just keep thinking, these women getting these probably don’t even own sewing machines, so what makes me think they will ever get used in any quilt…? Oh so sad – so sad!


Oh, and Sunday I also got a crib size UFO top pin basted and ready to hand quilt!!! This top was made way back in 1995 shortly after Momma Newt died. It is a really simple 4 patch pattern but it was at the beginning of my quilting career before I even knew what a rotary cutter was and used scissors to cut out each square. Needless to say I also didn’t know the importance of pressing seams either! The seams are going every which way!!! Hey it will never win a show and the workmanship is poor but it was one of the first I made (I think the 2nd) so it will be special to me. I think that is why it took me forever to even think about finishing it b/c of how bad it is… but with twins on the way and having only hand quilted one crib quilt that I finished back in 2004… this one will be another so that each twin can have one their “momma made”.



Here is a photo of the 1st ever hand quilted quilt I made - ugly colors don't ya think? But I couldn't give away my 1st hand quilted quit so I kept it.



Nora got to use the crib quilt that my mom and I made together when I was about 8 or 9 years old - so don’t think she is getting shorted ;c) In my opinion hers is the best of all because I cherish the memories of my mom and I making it together. It all started out as 5 four-patches left over from a project and mom was gonna make a small square quilt for a Barbie…. Then I suggested we make it bigger for my Cabbage Patch doll….. then after adding on to it…. I insisted we make it a little larger to be big enough for a “real” baby for one day. My mom was reluctant but she gave in and boy am I ever so greatful that she did b/c she died before 5 years before I became a mother.

I have visited many of your blogs this past week and should have made more comments but I didn't have the time to do so. I will make it back around to you soon. :c) Happy New Year everyone!!! ~Bonnie